Skip to main content

Six Questions to Ask Yourself If You're Quitting Facebook




With the premiere of The Social Dilemma, I'm seeing even more people than usual quitting Facebook or limiting their interactions on it.

Lately, even I've thought about pulling back, but I thought that before I did, I should ask myself some questions that seem important if you're going to remove one of the greatest tools for connectivity that's ever been given to humanity, democracy-compromising and political-hellscaping aside.

Here's what I came up with:

1. How are you going to remember people's birthdays?  If you think I'm going to forgive you for forgetting my birthday because you're not on Facebook hahahahaha have fun buying a planner and writing everything down again, because I remember those days, and I hated them. I hated those days. Those days were not fun.

2. I do theater. How am I going to promote theater without Facebook? Where are people going to see that I'm doing whatever it is I'm doing? Not that they care, but where will they see the things they don't care about? Yes, Facebook has not made promoting events easy without paying them to sponsor the event so they can get you likes from a Like Farm in Bangladesh, but what was the alternative? I told one of my students the other day that back before social media, I used to have a list of phone numbers, and I would call down the list letting people know I had a show coming up. You want me to go back to THAT? Absolutely not. Not a chance.

3.  If you're off Facebook but staying on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok, are you aware that not only are those platforms just as bad in terms of sowing the seeds of division, promoting conflict, and getting people who lip-sync to Mussolini speeches development deals, but the insinuation if you choose THOSE platforms (especially Instagram) over Facebook, is that you actually just want to put out YOUR opinion, and YOUR photos, and YOUR announcements, but you don't really care about seeing anybody else's? Instagram is the most self-involved of all the platforms, so if you're not getting rid of it along with Facebook, which owns it, by the way, then you're really showing your hand in terms of how much you care about anything that's happening in the life of anybody you know.

4.  Do plan on texting/emailing/calling (OMG calling, can you even?) all the people closest to you regularly to make sure they're doing okay?  Years ago, I lost someone important to me, and someone who had quit Facebook, that I was close friends with, had no idea it happened, and because he also quit Facebook without bothering to do the work required of a person without Facebook to, you know, be a good friend, he had no idea. Facebook and other platforms have replaced a lot of the grunt work we used to have to do as family and colleagues and friends, and so much of it are things we haven't done in years. Some of us have simply forgotten how to connect without it. So if you're going to give it up, have you give a lot of thought to whether or  not you can even fit all that grunt work back into your life? Are you prepared to go back to the days of thinking "Wow, I haven't talked to Chris in awhile" and then calling Chris and finding out a lot has been going on with Chris, and now you're going to be on the phone with Chris for the next seven hours?  You ready for that?  That's what we're looking at here.

5.  Is it possible you could just...be better about social media?  I'm not saying we're not smart enough to totally outsmart the algorithms. I have accepted that I am dumber than any and all machines, including toaster ovens, but, hear me out, why are we barely using the tools given to us to make the social media experience better?  How many of us actually go the extra step of unfollowing--not blocking (WWIII), but unfollowing--people who upset us?  Is it because we secretly kind of enjoy getting upset and fighting?  One day I was in a punchy mood and I scrolled past at least seventeen lovely posts that would have made me smile had I spent any time on them until I found a political post I hated so I could fight with the person who posted it.  Ladies and gentlemen, you are seeing on your feeds what you yourself have created.  Facebook has tricked our relatives into being racist. Our relatives were racists, responded positively to racist content, and proceeded to get that content fed to them on a steady diet. I'm not saying that Facebook should be let off the hook, but let's not pretend Uncle John was a tree-hugging liberal until Zuckerberg got his hooks into him.  Social media can exacerbate problems. Yes, that's true, but it doesn't often create them out of nowhere. The exacerbation is enough to demand oversight, but again, these platforms are tools people years ago would have killed for. To be able to share ideas and articles and to watch your grandchildren grow up from halfway across the world without needing to be mailed photos every few weeks (although still do that, save the USPS) is such a gift, and to think we would walk away from it rather than collectively try to tame it is so disheartening to me.  Can we tame it?  Is that possible?

6.  How are you going to know when celebrities die?  And how are you going to know when you think they've died but they really died nine years ago?

I realize that last one isn't as important as the previous ones, but it's still worth thinking about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making