Skip to main content

Theater and the Standing Ovation Pt. 2






Welcome back to the most controversial issue on social media--

Standing Ovations

If you haven't read Part One, go to http://thiscantbebroccoli.blogspot.com/2020/11/theater-and-standing-ovation.html

Today, I'm talking with someone else in the community where this took place, but this person has a different perspective on the matter.

Here's the interview:

ME:  So you got in touch with me because I made the mistake of hopping on a thread that was happening in your community about all this.

THEM:  I wanted to present you with a different side.

ME:  You were on the side of 'I always stand.'

THEM:  I do.

ME:  So you think it was wrong for the person I was speaking with not to stand?

THEM:  I think it was rude.

ME:  Do you think everyone should stand for every show?

THEM:  I do.

ME:  Oh, we're going to have fun.

THEM:  I don't see what the harm is in standing up.

ME:  What's the harm in not standing up?

THEM:  Because, in this case, you didn't see the show, okay? You didn't see the show.

ME:  I didn't.

THEM:  But those people did such a good job.

ME:  That's your opinion though.

THEM:  But you didn't see the show.

ME:  I didn't. But the person who did see it didn't think it was worth standing up for.

THEM:  I'm not sure that's what they thought.

ME:  Why else wouldn't they stand?

THEM:  I think they had other grievances against the theater.

ME:  They might have, but it's still their prerogative whether to stand or not.

THEM:  I don't think so. You can't not stand up because you don't like people in the show.

ME:  If that made you like the show less, then sure you can.

THEM:  Then why did they even go?

ME:  I'm not saying any of what you're saying is true, I'm just--

THEM:  You're saying what they said is true.

ME:  No, I'm just arguing the point.

THEM:  It is rude to go there and not acknowledge the work--

ME:  They did acknowledge it. They clapped. Did they not clap?

THEM:  I wasn't there.

ME:  But nobody's disputing that they clapped.

THEM:  I guess not.

ME:  But that's not enough for you?

THEM:  Why couldn't they have stood up and clapped?

ME:  Because clapping is 'You did a good job' and standing up is 'You did a near-perfect job.' Some people would even say standing up means it was perfection. Did you think it was perfection?

THEM:  That's not how I judge what standing up is supposed to mean.

ME:  But that is what it's supposed to mean. It's not about how you judge it. If you decide that the word 'pen' means 'ham,' that doesn't change the meaning of the word just because you feel like it.

THEM:  Why do you get to decide it?

ME:  I don't. I don't get to decide it. It's been decided by other people long before you or I came around.

THEM:  I like to stand when I enjoy a show and I enjoyed the show.

ME:  That's fine, but you were online yelling at someone else for not standing up.

THEM:  I wasn't yelling.

ME:  You called them rude.

THEM:  I think it's rude. I'm allowed to think that.

ME:  But that's based on what you would do. What you would do has nothing to do with what someone else would do.

THEM:  There were reasons that I thought were suspicious.

ME:  Suspicious?

THEM:  Like I said, I think the reasons were more personal.

ME:  But it doesn't matter. Just let people sit if they want to sit.

THEM:  Nobody was dragging them up on their feet, but if someone wants to call them rude, they should be allowed to.

ME:  But do you realize now that your praise means nothing now? If you stand up for everyone, you standing means nothing, so when someone you like sees you standing, it doesn't mean anything to them.

THEM:  I don't want people thinking I like one thing more than another. I want everybody to know that I appreciate what they're doing.

ME:  It's not about appreciation. I can appreciate somebody slaving over a hot stove, but if you burn the steak, I'm not applauding you for serving me shit. The food still has to taste good.

THEM:  You don't care if people don't stand for you?

ME:  I only want people to respond truthfully, because that has more meaning. I did a one-man show and one guy told me he stood up because 'How did I learn all those lines?' That's not why you stand up.

THEM:  But why isn't he allowed to stand up for that?

ME:  Because there are people with freak memories who could learn 'War and Peace' if they had to, but that doesn't make them a great actor.

THEM:  See, I think it does.

ME:  Oh gurl.

THEM:  You've never stood up when you didn't want to?

ME:  Of course I have.

THEM:  To be nice?

ME:  No, because straight boys get offended if you don't think them screaming for two hours and clawing at their chest is impressive. They'll follow you out to the parking lot. I'd rather just stand.

THEM:  But it didn't hurt you to do it.

ME:  I wasn't thrilled about it though.

THEM:  Then next time you can sit.

ME:  And people like you can bully me about it.

THEM:  I wasn't bullying.

ME:  There's been some bullying.

THEM:  Because people are sick of other people not being supportive.

ME:  Clap clap, sweetie--that's the sound of me supporting you. You don't get me jumping to my feet as well. That's not how that works.

THEM:  So you're taking their side.

ME:  I try not to take sides, but your side is dumb. I don't know how else to say it. If you want your nephew onstage to feel good, clap harder, but you don't need to stand.

THEM:  I didn't have my nephew onstage. I want to show support to everyone.

ME:  When Conservatives make fun of liberals, this is what they're makin fun of. This is participation trophy culture. You got to knock it off.

THEM:  It's not always the people onstage who are at fault if the show isn't good.

ME:  That's true. Nobody's denying that. But it's also not the team's fault if they lose the game, but ultimately, it's also all that matters. Oh my god, you're making me talk sports now.

THEM:  I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing, and you keep doing what you're doing.

ME:  Sounds great. This was infuriating.

THEM:  But I still think what [they] did was rude.

ME:  You're wrong, but I hear what you're saying.

THEM:  We can leave it at that.

ME:  Yes, we can.

Them is a frequent audience member.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making