Skip to main content

Theater and the Standing Ovation Pt. 3






Welcome back to the most controversial issue on social media--

Standing Ovations

If you haven't read Parts One and Two, go to

http://thiscantbebroccoli.blogspot.com/2020/11/theater-and-standing-ovation.html

http://thiscantbebroccoli.blogspot.com/2020/11/theater-and-standing-ovation-pt-2.html

Today, I'm talking with someone else in the community where this took place, but this person has a different perspective on the matter.

Here's the interview:

ME:  First of all, happy Thanksgiving.

THEM:  A very happy Thanksgiving to you.

ME:  You wrote to me after reading the last interview, because you had a different take on the whole thing.

THEM:  I do.

ME:  What is your take?

THEM:  That idiot needs to be thrown off a building.

ME:  Okay then.

THEM:  Who stands all the time and then doesn't understand that if you do that, you have made the gesture meaningless?

ME:  How often do you stand?

THEM:  Never.

ME:  Never?

THEM:  I never stand.

ME:  Why not?

THEM:  Standing means what I watched was perfect. I have yet to see anything perfect. That is the definition of why you give a standing ovation. There is no other definition.

ME:  Has anyone ever gotten mad at you for not standing?

THEM:  Yes. I live in [Name of City] same as [First Person Interviewed], and people know I don't stand, and they get very irate about it.

ME:  So people notice that you don't stand?

THEM:  Yes.

ME:  What do you say to them when they criticize you for it?

THEM:  I tell them that I paid for the ticket, and that means I paid to have the experience I wanted to have, and I want to sit there and read People magazine the whole time, that's my seat and my experience to have.

ME:  But you don't go that far?

THEM:  If the play is boring enough, I will.

ME:  See now I can understand people dragging you for that.

THEM:  But why does it matter? How am I affecting you enjoying the experience if I'm--I'm not taking out my cell phone and texting like some people do. I get a seat off to the side or in the back, and if the play is bad, I sit right where I am.

ME:  Will you clap at all?

THEM:  Yes. I will always clap.

ME:  For the effort?

THEM:  Because they bothered to show up. Me clapping for you--and I count my claps.

ME:  You count your claps?

THEM:  I do.

ME:  What does that even mean?

THEM:  It's based on how much I like something.

ME:  What's the minimum number of claps you'll give if a show is really bad?

THEM:  Two.

ME:  You will clap twice?

THEM:  Twice and then I get up and leave.

ME:  Do you have a maximum number?

THEM:  No. If I like a show, I'll clap until everyone else has stopped clapping.

ME:  But you'll never stand?

THEM:  No. Well--I haven't yet.

ME:  Do you think this is at all about telegraphing to the people around you what you think of the show?

THEM:  Isn't that what they're doing to me when they stand even if a show isn't good? They're--

ME:  It's performative, you feel.

THEM:  It's performative to stand up when we all saw the same show and we all saw the same boring acting and the same lazy directing and everything else you see in a show you don't like. If you stand up after that, that's your way of--I don't know what you're doing. Are you trying to get the actors to see how much you love them? Are you trying to tell the rest of us we didn't just see what we saw? I don't know, but yes, it's performative. But we're in a theater. It makes sense the audience would be performing too.

ME:  Do you think you might have a higher standard for theater than other people?

THEM:  No. I think I like what I like the same way everybody else does.

ME:  How much theater do you see?

THEM:  I used to go all the time.

ME:  Would you say you liked most of what you saw or--

THEM:  I liked about ten percent of everything I would go to see.

ME:  Ten percent? That's it?

THEM:  I think that's high. I see a lot.

ME:  But you wouldn't clap more than a few times for most of it?

THEM:  I make sure to clap for each actor.

ME:  Two times?

THEM:  It depends on the actor.

ME:  So each actor gets a different amount of claps?

THEM:  Yes. I bring a notepad with me and I make notes of which actors I liked the most.

ME:  Are you a critic?

THEM:  No, I would never be a critic.

ME:  So you're just making notes for yourself?

THEM:  Yes.

ME:  And you assign a clap number to each actor?

THEM:  I don't think of it that way, but usually I know how many claps I'm giving someone before the show is over.

ME:  So one actor can get two claps and another can get ten?

THEM:  I don't think I've ever given ten claps to an actor.

ME:  So ten claps is almost the same as a standing ovation?

THEM:  Who claps more than ten times?

ME:  I don't know. I've never counted my claps before.

THEM:  Ten feels excessive.

ME:  I might start counting once we get back to in-person theater.

THEM:  I do it instinctively now. I don't even think about it.

ME:  Have you ever considered that maybe you just hate theater?

THEM:  I love theater--when it's good. When it's good, it's worth it. But you won't know if it's good until you watch it. That's the problem.

ME:  Can't argue with that.

THEM:  But to stand for everything? Oh no. That's embarrassing. How embarrassing for that person.

ME:  Do you know [Name of Person]?

THEM:  Are you supposed to tell me who they are?

ME:  Not really, but we're winding down these interviews, so I'm getting messy. Do you know them?

THEM:  I do. I could have guessed it was them.

ME:  What do you think now that you know who they are?

THEM:  I still think they're an idiot, but I thought that before I knew who they were.

ME:  Got it. Well, this was great. Thank you.

THEM:  Thank you.

ME:  Happy Thanksgiving.

THEM:  To you as well.

Them is a frequent audience member.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making