Skip to main content

Shopping the Lewq






A month ago, I got an offer I should have refused.

It was for one of those monthly clothing subscription boxes where you pay a little over a hundred dollars every month, a website creates a "personal styling profile" for you, and then they send you clothes that fit that style.

Now, as a gay man in 2021, clothing is a tricky issue, because while a decent number of us want to look presentable, some of us are theater gays who want to show up everywhere looking like Billy Porter at the Met Gala.

And that is not...easy.

I understand that women deal with a slew of issues when it comes to clothing, but I'm always envious that women's fashion does seem to understand that women do like to stand out every so often, whereas most mainstream male clothing seems designed to have you blend in at a variety of yachting events.

Years ago, I wrote about how men's clothes are also anti-short torso/long legs and how most button-downs seem to be designed for guys above eight feet tall, so I won't return down that road, but suffice it to say, finding interesting clothing has always bothered me.

Oh sure, there are designers who make clothes that stand out, and if you have a few extra thousand dollars to spare, you can look slightly only less intriguing than an extra in a Baz Luhrman movie.

But reader, I want to look like the lead in a Baz Luhrman movie. I just don't want to have to sell my car to do it.

So I not only signed up for the subscription box I got an offer on, I signed on for about six more.

My logic was that most of them had policies where, if I didn't like what they sent me, I could send it all back and get a refund. I assumed most of what I got would be meh, but that at least one of them would send me a few interesting items.

Like most journeys in my life, I set my expectations at "bare minimum" and somehow they still weren't met.

I filled out all the "style profiles" the same way.

Hi, my name is Kevin and I'm a homosexual who wants to show up places and have everyone be envious of how good I look. I need to walk the fine line between "ridiculous" and "unique personal branding that can't be replicated." I never want anyone to be sure where I got any of the clothing that I got, and nothing personal, but in no way can they figure out that I may have gotten something from a subscription service. I'm so sorry. People are horrible, aren't they? But yeah, you need to erase any evidence of your existence as it pertains to the clothing you send me. Bright colors, but I'm also Portuguese and Italian so...maybe varieties of black and grey?  But colorful? By the way, I'm not nearly cool enough to pull off anything Ezra Miller would wear, but that's the vibe I'm going for, so think in terms of a less cool Ezra Miller who is aspiring to be as cool as Ezra Miller. I've also been told I have great elbows, if that helps. Thanks!

My first box arrived.

It had several hooded sweatshirts that were white, off-white, and baby blue with the word "SUPER" across it, which could have either been the brand or the people at the subscription service hoping I would be thrilled to receive something that positive.

There was also a brown belt, a pair of sweatpants, a few t-shirts that ranged from "I would wear this to bed" to "I could clean my sink with this" and a black parka.

I immediately phoned the subscription service and got a nice gentleman on the line, who proceeded to look at what I had requested via my style profile and say, with a tremor of fear in his voice--

"So you don't think Ezra Miller would wear any of that?"

While I do not know Mz. Miller, I felt confident in asserting that had it been sent to their home, they would have set the box on fire.

An agreement was reached to refund me, and we agreed to part ways.

The other boxes were no better.

No matter how many times I said "statement piece" or "outlandish but office-friendly" I still wound up with plaid button-downs and jeans from the late 90's.

When I complained to my more stylish friends that I wanted to receive several high fashion items sent to me every month in a neatly packaged box for only a hundred dollars, the laughter was loud and consistent, leading me to believe that I need new friends.

All this is to say that I'm launching my own subscription service--

The Lewq Box

My plan is to shop vintage stores, Latvian flea markets, and RISD dumpsters, throw six or seven things in plastic bag (boxes aren't cost effective for a new venture like mine), and send it out for the very reasonable price of $99.99 a month.

Will the clothes you get be "good?"

Well, what does "good" mean?

Will they be well-made?

Who knows?

Will they fit you?

They might.

Will they be memorable?

Absolutely.

I will not put anything in The Lewq Box that is not either the weirdest thing you've ever seen or comprised of such blinding colors and patterns that it can only be worn after warning local airports.

By the way, if you're wondering if I'm looking for investors, the answer is "Why yes, I am."

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some dumpsters to dive into.

Because nobody said looking good was easy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making