Skip to main content

Let's Talk About Jhumpa Lahiri's New Book, or What to Do About Rich Fiction

 





Jhumpa Lahiri is one of my favorite authors.

But even the best make mistakes.

Her latest book Whereabouts made me...so angry.

Not because it's poorly written.

In fact, it's not poorly written at all. I'm not sure if she would know how to write anything that wasn't creatively immaculate.

My issue with it is that it is...tone deaf in one of those astounding ways where you have to wonder how her editor, publisher, or anyone working with her didn't suggest just hiding the entire manuscript in favor of something more appropriate.

As we're starting to see the end of the pandemic, Lahiri has decided that what she wants to tackle is a book written in Italian by her, then translated...by her...all about an author...in Italy...just kind of...walking around...not doing anything.

Certainly not working.

Lahiri taught herself Italian, wrote a book in that language, and then translated it.

And while that is all very impressive, it also smacks of the kind of elite privilege that most very acclaimed authors enjoy after they manage to work their way into the good graces of the academia crowd. Somehow, once you publish something that provides you the opportunity to do speaking tours at Ivy League universities, you get to do things like move to a European country and wander aimlessly through its streets just so you can write a piece for the New Yorker about it a year later. You can ruminate on what it means to be an American in a foreign land.

I swear to god, as much as I love James Baldwin, I really wish authors would stop trying to imitate him by dropping themselves into what they perceive is a Bohemian landscape just so they can write about chain-smoking and affairs with married people and how golly gosh the French and the Italians and everyone who isn't American is just so...not American.

Despite all of us agreeing that Hemingway was not somebody we should try to emulate in any way, the writing community's obsession with being expats has never dwindled, and I understand the allure. If I could get paid to go live in Tuscany and write about how I spent my day trying to dig a well for my villa, I would happily cash that check, but one would hope that at this particular moment in time, that kind of writing could have used a break.

The Eat Pray Love/Under the Tuscan Sun genre has always received its share of mockery, and much of that has, yes, involved a certain level of sexism, but it's also just people with jobs balking at the idea that we should deeply involve ourselves for three hundred or more pages into the life of someone who has no job and probably never will again and should be read solely because they can craft a good sentence and they're smarter than us.

The gap between what the New York Times finds impressive and what the rest of the country desperately needs when it comes to culture widens by the hour. Yet another reason why economic diversity in critical writing needs to be considered in addition to no longer having every critic be a straight white guy. Literary criticism has done better with that over the past few years, but the common denominator is that everyone who reviews a book these days has a townhouse in Manhattan or aspires to, and they've made the assumption that blue-collar or lower-income people don't read anyway, so who cares whether or not the latest novella will resonate with them?

I found Whereabouts to be self-involved, self-important, and utterly worthless, and I feel badly picking on it, because it is not the worst culprit when it comes to this crime, but it's from an author I love, who, in the past, has beautifully communicated the experiences of those who cannot afford an undetermined amount of time learning a romance language in a gorgeous country in between gelato.

That's why this book feels like we lost another one. After artists in any field reach a certain level of fame or notoriety, they lose a bit of touch. That's inevitable, I guess. We can't all be Frances McDormand living in a toolshed in Beverly Hills in between films just to avoid turning into Bette Davis, but can we at least ask editors to ask their clients--

What does this character do for money?

Writer AND playwrights, since I refuse to see one more play post-pandemic about rich people at a lake house sharing family secrets and dealing with grief. I refuse. I refuse, I refuse, I refuse. I have produced those plays. One of them. It was great. I loved it. I don't need seventeen more iterations on it, thank you.

And I do not need a book like Whereabouts.

And I do not know a single person who does.

I suppose an author is allowed to write whatever they want, and I suppose a publisher can publish whatever they want, but I no longer agree to go along silently and pretend that there's something there I'm not seeing. Some deeper meaning or substantive moment that's just going over my head, because I'm not savvy enough to see it.

Getting a book published is immensely difficult, and the number of manuscripts that get passed on are probably in the tens of thousands every year, so when I see something like this make it to the finish line, based solely on the clout of the author, it enrages me.

No more rich-fic, please.

I can dream about being unimaginably wealthy and free of responsibilities on my own.

I don't need that dream translated for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making