Skip to main content

Daniel Tosh Just Isn't Funny

This is one of those trending news topics that seems to have ten conflicting accounts, so bear with me for a paragraph.  Daniel Tosh, comedian and host of Comedy Central's "Tosh.0" (a show where Internet videos are played and mocked by Tosh) is taking a lot of heat because, allegedly, he made a rape joke at a comedy club, a woman got offended and as she was leaving, Tosh asked the crowd if it would be funny for everyone to rape her.

Or something like that.  I couldn't be bothered to look up all the different articles to achieve some sort of "accuracy."  I'm a blogger, not a journalist.  Regardless of what Tosh said, I still think he should lose his job, and it hasn't nothing to do with the fact that he may or may not have told a rape joke.

I think he should lose his job because he's just not funny.

First off, let's address the elephant.  You can't say anything is never funny in any context in any way.  That's ridiculous.  I've heard funny Titanic jokes, funny Helen Keller jokes, and yes, funny 9/11 jokes.  Would I tell them?  Probably not.  But I found them funny.  That makes them funny.  Not because I'm the determiner (determiner--is that a word?) of what is and isn't funny, but because there isn't a determiner (I think it's a word) which means if someone find what you said funny, then congratulations, it's a funny joke.

Now, I have no doubt in my mind that if Daniel Tosh told a rape joke, it probably wasn't funny at all and the only people who would have laughed would be misogynistic stoned frat boys who probably would roofie some poor high school senior at one of their keg parties.  I also know, however, that a smarter comedian could probably come up with a joke about rape that would be funny and maybe even unoffensive.

Ultimately, if I argue for anything, it's for free speech and that you can't put limitations on what's funny.

I would also argue, however, that Daniel Tosh should lose his job because his job is to be funny and he's not.

Not at all.

He shows videos and comments on them in front of a green screen.  He's basically the 2012 version of Bob Saget.  I have a strong feeling that he's only on television for the Magic Mike factor--meaning, he's pretty to look at, so he can get girls and gays to watch a show they probably otherwise wouldn't.  I used to watch the show because he'd inevitably take his shirt off at least once every episode.  (Trust me, this guy knows where his strengths lie.)

But now I'm sort of over his man-child, back-of-the-classroom-hooligan act.  It's getting old--mostly because he's pushing forty and you can only do burp-and-scratch humor until you become another Adam Sandler.  Tosh doesn't even have a film career to fall back on when this little dog-and-pony show on Comedy Central ends.  (And yes, I'm aware it's a ratings behemoth for them, but even behemoths can run their course.)

It's possible even that television Tosh is just a persona and that all that Hee-man woman-hating garbage is just him Tim Allen-ing his way into success (and if you don't understand that reference, then I'm not sure I can still be friends with you).  What disturbs me more is that some guys actually are pounding their chests like apes and saying that bad rape jokes are awesome and while you're at it, get me a beer from the kitchen, woman.

I say take the guy off the air because television doesn't need a program like "Tosh.0."  We already have "The Soup," which is smarter, funnier, and yes, I would even say classier, but that's because Joel McHale hosts it, and let's fact it, he's a hottie.

But if you really want Tosh off the air, just do what I do.

Stop watching his show.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making