Skip to main content

Theater and the Dream Team: Part Two

A week ago I interviewed a friend I'd worked with over ten years ago at a theater outside my home of Rhode Island.  The experience has stuck with me over the years, because it involved a group of people who, at the time, were something of a clique, but who over the years seemed to transform into something a little more toxic.  I would keep tabs on them on social media, and it seemed that they were now calling themselves The Dream Team.

While I knew that they were still a tight-knit entity in their community, I wasn't aware of the scope of their influence until the friend I interviewed got in touch with me about what had transpired over the past decade involving them.  You can read that interview here:  

https://thiscantbebroccoli.blogspot.com/2019/08/theater-and-dream-team.html

Almost as soon as I posted the interview, one of the self-proclaimed members of The Dream Team contacted me about it.  As you can imagine, they weren't very pleased with how they were depicted in the interview, so I offered to talk to them over the phone provided they were okay with me sharing our conversation on this blog.  They agreed.

This is the interview.

ME:  Am I correct in saying that you feel comfortable identifying yourself as someone who's a part of The Dream Team?

THEM:  Yes.

ME:  And you're an actor.

THEM:  Yes.  I've directed a few things as well.

ME:  But there's a person in the group who's considered 'The Director.'

THEM:  There's someone in the group who mainly directs, yes.

ME:  And you read the interview I posted last week?

THEM:  I read it, yes.

ME:  And you felt it was unfair?

THEM:  Uh, yeah.  (Laughs.)  Very unfair, uh--yes.

ME:  Now you and I didn't work together on the production I talked about in the interview.

THEM:  No, I think I started working with _____ and everybody, uh, in 2011?

ME:  So the team sort of--evolves?  People come and go?

THEM:  Yeah, that's why I don't think--That's why the accusation that we're some sort of cult is just--It's not accurate.  We're very inclusive.  It made it sound like we're a bunch of bullies.

ME:  Well, we'll get to that--

THEM:  And I think you're being a bully by calling us obnoxious.

ME:  Did I call you obnoxious?

THEM:  You did.  You said that we seemed like an obnoxious clique.

ME:  I think that was about you all getting t-shirts made with 'Dream Team' on them.

THEM:  We're proud of the work we do and the people we do it with.  What's wrong with that?

ME:  It's just odd, because it's not in reference to a specific theater or production that you worked on.  It's about this roving group of people--

THEM:  It's not meant to be taken that seriously.  It's just something we find funny.  We're not the only group of people who work together a lot and make a thing out of it, or, uh, enjoy it, and, like, have fun with it.

ME:  Do you think how you all behave on social media is a problem?

THEM:  I'm barely on social media, so I don't really--

ME:  But you know about how other people in the group are on social media?

THEM:  I really don't pay attention to social media.

ME:  Oh.  Well, you should.  It's kind of where everything happens now.

THEM:  But see I guess a lot of drama comes out of it, and I just don't want to be involved in that.

ME:  But the people you're friends with seem to be starting a lot of this drama.

THEM:  I wouldn't know about any of that.

ME:  Well, it's a good thing we're talking about it.  I can fill you in.

THEM:  I mean, I'm sure you do some stupid s*** on social media based on what I've seen.

ME:  Oh, I'm a nightmare on social media, and we can certainly talk about that if you want, but I've never posted 'Some people should just kill themselves.'  I find that to be a little bit beyond drama.

THEM:  Who posted that.

ME:  _______________.  Two years ago.

THEM:  Wow, you went back two years.  You must have a lot of time on your hands.

ME:  Someone sent it to me as a screenshot.

THEM:  Mhmm.  I would love to know who takes screenshots of stuff like that.

ME:  Maybe someone who doesn't think it's appropriate to post that kind of stuff?

THEM:  What was it in reference to?

ME:  You don't know?

THEM:  That's why I'm asking.

ME:  Oh see, but I think you know what it's in reference to.

THEM:  So you think I'm lying?

ME:  I think you're trying to avoid having to address posting something like that about someone.

THEM:  That was a very, uh, volatile situation.

ME:  Someone quit a show you all were working on because they didn't like your behavior.

THEM:  That's one side of it.

ME:  Okay, what's the other side?

THEM:  The person was just very unprofessional.  Very standoff-ish.

ME:  Wouldn't do the prayer circle?

THEM:  See, you seem to have this big problem with prayer that I don't--

ME:  I think prayer is wonderful.  I've prayed many times in my life.

THEM:  I thought you were an atheist?

ME:  Atheists can still pray.

THEM:  I didn't know that.

ME:  Free lesson for you.

THEM:  But like, who are you praying to?

ME:  I don't look at it as praying to something, I pray for something or someone.

THEM:  And we pray to give thanks for our talents and to have a good show.  Same thing athletes do.  If people don't want to do it, it's not a huge issue.

ME:  Except another actor and I both got screamed at when we didn't.

THEM:  That was a long time ago.

ME:  So _________ doesn't scream at people anymore?

THEM:  Not that I'm aware of.

ME:  Don't you think making prayer this big display--especially a Christian prayer--can make other people working on the show feel ostracized?  Like, why not do something more inclusive?

THEM:  Like we should pray to something we don't believe in?

ME:  I didn't say that.

THEM:  Everyone can do whatever they want.  I'm sorry you got screamed at.  Maybe _____ was having a bad day that day.  I don't know.

ME:  Do you still do the prayer in the dressing rooms though?

THEM:  Where else would we do it?

ME:  Somewhere less intrusive?

THEM:  Like where?

ME:  Like in your cars privately before the show?

THEM:  I think we should have the right to do it wherever we want.  It's a free country.

ME:  And the flip side of that is--I shouldn't have to listen to you pray while I'm trying to get ready.

THEM:  So you don't like prayer?

ME:  Let's move on, because I feel like--

THEM:  Okay.

ME:  Was someone fired from a show they were cast in because they broke up with another actor in the group?

THEM:  It was agreed--for a lot of reasons that I'm sure your friend doesn't want me to get into--that it wouldn't be a good idea to have them in the show together.

ME:  What were the reasons?

THEM:  I'm sure they don't want me to talk about it.

ME:  I'm sure they won't mind.  I can always check with them before I post anything.

THEM:  I think we should just leave it alone.

ME:  But why was it decided that my friend should be fired and not the other actor?

THEM:  There were reasons.

ME:  And did it seem appropriate to mock my friend after the fact?

THEM:  I never mocked anyone.

ME:  No, but--more screenshots--

THEM:  Wow.

ME:  --There's this long comment thread where people are sort of vaguely making fun of someone--clearly my friend--and you're liking a lot of these comments.

THEM:  Uh huh.

ME:  --For someone who doesn't go on social media very often, you seem to have mastered the cowardly approach of just passive aggressively liking other people's insults.

THEM:  Did you just say I'm a coward?

ME:  I think that's a cowardly thing to do.

THEM:  I can't tell you everything I've ever liked in my life, but your friend--your friend gave as good as they got.

ME:  In defense of themselves?

THEM:  If that's how you want to look at it.

ME:  But do you--

THEM:  I--I just think it's funny that you call us a bunch of negative a**holes and--

ME:  I said that you were doing something that a lot of people who are negative a**holes do which is promote false positive thinking when really you're creating a lot of bad energy.

THEM:  So you're saying you didn't call us that?

ME:  No, I'm saying I am, but I wanted to clarify why I said it.

THEM:  Okay.

ME:  Have people in your group been attacking a high school student recently?

THEM:  It's not a group.  It's a bunch of people who work together a lot.

ME:  Are these people your friends?

THEM:  Most of them, yes.

ME:  Haven't you said online that you're all 'like family?'

THEM:  Yes.

ME:  Another term that makes my skin crawl.

THEM:  Family?

ME:  Saying people you do theater with are your family.

THEM:  Why does that make your skin crawl?

ME:  Because we're there to get a job done not eat turkey on Thanksgiving together.  It's an unhealthy way of looking at a group of people who are supposed to be your colleagues.  Colleague is a great word.  Just use 'colleague.'  Maybe even use 'friends.'  But don't use 'family.'  That's a slippery slope to a lot of people treating each other badly and getting away with it.

THEM:  Maybe that's been your experience.

ME:  It has, but if you like it, that's fine.  Has your family been harassing a high school student?

THEM:  A few jokes is not harassment.

ME:  You've been joking at the expense of a high school student because they got a role one of your family members wanted?

THEM:  See, that's--It's just a few people being funny.

ME:  Is that why the student deactivated all their social media accounts right after talking about how upset they were that they were being attacked--

THEM:  They weren't being attacked.

ME:  So you get to decide if they were being attacked?

THEM:  It was just--

ME:  It was a group of adults cracking jokes about a child's weight and--

THEM:  They're not a child.

ME:  Excuse me?

THEM:  They're not a child.

ME:  Uhhhh, they're not eighteen.

THEM:  Doesn't make them a child.  In my opinion.

ME:  Wow.  Let's never talk about your ideas on dating.

THEM:  That's gross.

ME:  Sorry.  It was just a joke.  I thought you'd like it.

THEM:  Now you're just being--

ME:  So your family bullies this child off social media for getting a role--

THEM:  We--a few of us thought it was ridiculous to give someone that young that kind of opportunity and we were letting off steam about it.  That's all.

ME:  At someone else's expense.

THEM:  They were saying stuff too and it escalated and that's when they decided to back down--

ME:  You're talking about a sixteen-year-old.

THEM:  Who said some f***ed up stuff.

ME:  Sixteen-years-old.

THEM:  Who said--

ME:  Sixteen-years-old.  Just going to keep saying it.

THEM:  You're acting all holier-than-thou in all these interviews you do like you don't make jokes online or you don't ever have anything bad to say about anyone.

ME:  I'm not getting into a 'Am I better than Person X' argument.  This isn't me condemning people like I'm Nancy Grace or something.  I'm trying to find out what's causing people to flee the theater in droves and for some people--for my friend--it's your group and its actions.

THEM:  You've never made anybody quit theater?

ME:  Not as many people as I'd like, but I'm working on it.

THEM:  Everybody in ______ said you weren't that good so I can see why you're bitter.

ME:  If I wasn't that good, why did they offer me two more roles that I turned down?

THEM:  I don't know about that.

ME:  Oh, I can forward you the emails.  I still have them.  Two lead roles.  Said 'No' to both.  Didn't really love getting screamed at just because I don't think Jesus cares that much about a matinee.

THEM:  You even said in your last interview you never talked with any of the--

ME:  It wasn't the director, it was the theater.  And they admitted that the director was wrong.

THEM:  So _____ didn't want to work with you again.

ME:  I'm just saying clearly somebody thought I did a good job.

THEM:  But now you're just going after people all over the place.  You don't even live in _____.  You don't know what's going on there.

ME:  Unfortunately, I think sometimes an outside perspective is more valuable.

THEM:  So can I have some opinions about where you live?

ME:  Have all the opinions you want.  I'm sure I've got all the same ones.

THEM:  This thing that you're suggesting that, like, we control all the theaters where we live--that's just bull****.

ME:  But anybody who goes up against all of you doesn't seem to get any work after that.

THEM:  Maybe they're just not that good.

ME:  And you think you all are just--what?--the future of theater in America?

THEM:  You talked about it being a job.  We do our jobs really well.

ME:  Is that why the last show you worked on got cancelled?

THEM:  There was a medical emergency.

ME:  Was the medical emergency that someone at the theater had a heart attack when it turned out you didn't have the rights?

THEM:  We had the rights.

ME:  See, here's the thing--you didn't.

THEM:  No.

ME:  I went on the ____________ website.  You never had the rights.  I guess you didn't know that you can find that stuff out pretty easily.

THEM:  (Laughs.)  That's funny.

ME:  And I'm assuming somebody ratted you out.  You certainly have enough enemies.

THEM:  If we didn't have the rights, that would be on the theater, not us.

ME:  But you all were producing it independently.  You were just renting the theater.

THEM:  This is so stupid.  I don't know why--

ME:  So you got shut down.

THEM:  We didn't get shut down.

ME:  Okay, so--that aside, you don't--meaning your family--you don't prevent people from getting work in your area if they clash with you?  You haven't emailed theaters about not casting people?  _____ hasn't?

THEM:  I have not.

ME:  Do you know if other people have?

THEM:  I don't believe they have.

ME:  Would you be interested to know that I can prove they have?

THEM:  I mean--I'm not in charge of what everybody else does--

ME:  But shouldn't you--if you're going to be part of a group of people that you call your family--shouldn't you feel good about how these people are acting towards other people?

THEM:  I do feel good about it.

ME:  Really?

THEM:  Yes.

ME:  The bullying, the--

THEM:  It's not bullying.

ME:  Do you know in one of the emails that was sent to a theater about a particular actor, it's insinuated that the actor has a criminal record?

THEM:  I mean, I don't know--

ME:  This actor, by the way, does not have a criminal record.  And saying something like that is very serious when you--

THEM:  I think I want to end this conversation now.

ME:  Okay.  That's--

THEM:  Okay thank you.

That was the end of the phone call.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making