Skip to main content

Hosting

Originally performed at Stranger Stories on
Thursday, November 21st.

The theme was "Hosting."

When you’re affiliated with theater, people ask
you to do all sorts of things you have no business
doing.

I’ve been an actor since I was eight-years-old,
a writer since I was twenty-four, and a bigmouth
since birth.

Somehow, in the eyes of others, this has qualified
me over the years to serve as an auctioneer, a
dog show commentator, a spokesperson for a
chain of bakeries, and--more times than I can
count--a host.

I love hosting.  What I lack as an actor, writer, and
overall artist, I make up for in semi-false cheeriness
and the pure adrenaline that comes from driving an
evening forward, knowing I’m the only thing standing
between the Annual Save the Giant Starfish gala
going smoothly or descending into oceanic-themed
chaos.

And my favorite kind of event to host is--without a
doubt--talent shows.

I love talent shows.

A few years ago, a woman in the audience at one
of my shows approached me to ask if I would host
a talent show at her place of work.  I said “Yes”
without a moment’s hesitation.

“Oh wonderful,” she exclaimed, “The residents will
be thrilled.”

Hearing the word “residents” gave me pause, and
like any real artist, it was only then that I realized I
had agreed to something without any details at all
simply because it sounded like people would give
me attention.

“Residents?”

“Yes,” she said, “I work at a nursing home.”

Reader, I almost evaporated on the spot.

When I said I love talent shows, I neglected to
mention that I love the part where the talented
people perform.  The corporate lawyers belting
Bon Jovi and the six-year-old tap dancers being
shoved onstage by their mothers and the comedian
doing twenty minutes on how expensive the coffee
at Starbucks is all inspire kindness in me, but they
also make every skin cell on my body recoil in
symbiotic embarrassment.

Please don’t misunderstand me.  I’m not looking
down on these people.  As someone who would
undoubtedly lose in any kind of competition--talent
or otherwise, I marvel at those who can get up
onstage and say “Here’s something I feel I do well.
  Please tell me if I’m wrong and do it in front of an
audience.”

Usually you get a handful of misguided people
whenever you emcee such an evening, but you
grit your teeth and try to look supportive the way
you would when one of your friends gets bangs
after the age of thirty.

This time around, I was not going to be so lucky.

A nursing home talent show?

I’d probably grind my teeth down to the gums
before the second rendition of “Begin the Beguine.”

Still, I had agreed to do it.
I had made a commitment.
My word is bond.

Plus, they were paying me.

The day of the competition I arrived at the home
promptly at 5pm, an hour before the show was to
begin.  I would learn that when it comes to assisted
living, an eight o’clock curtain is more like a six
o’clock flickering of the community room
fluorescents.

I checked in with the woman who had enlisted me,
and after she went over the evening’s line-up, I
walked in front of a surprisingly large crowd of
octogenarians--many of whom were already
sleeping--and introduced myself.

“WHAT?” one person yelled from the very front
row, “WHO IS THIS?  WHO ARE YOU?
WHY ARE YOU HERE?”

Now, I’ve dealt with hecklers before, but never
one so philosophical.

Luckily for me, there were workers strategically
placed throughout the room to handle things
like this.  One approached the heckler--a frail
woman propped up in a chair who looked as
though in her youth she might have been an
Israeli soldier--and explained that we were
having a talent show and this young man
(Young!  Oh my god!  Bless your heart. 
I’ll be here every week.) was the host.

“DO I HAVE TO STAY,” the heckler asked.

Truthfully I think the same thing whenever I
have to go see Twelfth Night, but I have the
decency not to say it aloud.

The show got underway.  We had six acts
competing, although “competing” is a bit of
a misnomer, because all of them were going
to get prizes.  The awards ranged from free
cards at bingo night to a miniature slot
machine (didn’t know they made those
anymore) to some playing cards (third place)
to a book about the saints (fourth place)
rosary beads (fifth place) and a book on how
to play poker (sixth place).  What I learned
from this is that older people really enjoy
Christianity and gambling, which has to be a
pretty conflicted existence, if you ask me.

The winner was going to be judged based on
audience applause, and if the ovation I
received when I started the show was any
indication, these contestants were going to
have to work hard for the money--or their
rosaries, in this case.

Up first was a pianist named Lucille who
played a lovely rendition of Gerswhin’s
“Summertime.”  I found the whole thing
enchanting and, for a moment, I entertained
the idea that maybe this wouldn’t be so bad
after all, but then Lucille added her own
vocal accompaniment at a volume that would
have made Def Leppard cover their ears. 

In the show, “Summertime” is a sweet little lullaby
sung to a child by its mother. When Lucille sang
it, it was as though she was trying to rouse
somebody from a coma.

After Lucille was Anthony, a man straight out of
a 1950’s soap commercial, complete with a bow
tie and a mustache, who proceeded to tell
every bad joke you’ve ever heard in your life. 
These weren’t just dad jokes. They were
great-granddad jokes. He also told six consecutive
gay jokes, looking at me after each one to make
sure I wasn’t upset with him. I just smiled back,
willing to let anything slide provided it helped get
this whole thing over with, but Anthony was still
so self-conscious that every time one of those
jokes would come up, his voice would drop to
almost a whisper, and the heckler in the front row
would yell--

“WAIT, WHAT DID THE PRIEST DO IN THE
LIFEBOAT?”

After Anthony things went from awkward to--

I wonder what would happen if I just jumped through
a window like Buster Keaton.  Would they like that?
Would their joy at seeing me covered in broken glass
like one of their childhood stars buy me time to
get away?

We had a woman demonstrate how to hula hoop
who appeared to never have hula hoop-ed in her
entire life.  Then there was the lady named Muriel
who got up, told a story about her nephew who
can’t find a nice girl because women work outside
the home now, and pretty soon, we’re all going
to be married to robots.

(I still kick myself for not writing that story down
so I can use it as a monologue.)

Following Muriel was a man named Walter who
did several magic tricks that were all pretty impressive
considering after each one he would look out at the
crowd and say-with total sincerity--

“Now how the hell did I just do that?”

What better way for a magician to keep his illusions
a secret than to forget them as soon as they’re done. 
It’s a great concept if you think about it, and I gathered
Walter was going to be a shoo-in for first place,
especially when he pulled a quarter from behind the ear
of a man in the third row.  All of a sudden, the audience
came alive--in some cases, literally--cheering as though
Walter had just announced caramel candies were under
all their chairs.

Before I tell you about the last performer, I feel it’s
important that I make the following few points as
clearly as possible:

None of what I’m telling you is meant to mock the
elderly.  I truly believe that every single human being
on earth is pretty awful if you look at them the right
way, and that’s the insight I try to provide with everything
I write.  I could just have easily told you about the
time I judged a fifth-grade spelling bee and silently
criticized one child for bursting into tears just because
he couldn’t spell “optician.”  Tears were streaming
down his face--a face with glasses on it, I might add--
and the irony was almost too much for me.

I would also like to point out that while I’m as cynical
as the next homosexual, I truly believe in the majesty
and spontaneity of theater--wherever it may occur. 
That goes for everything where people assemble and
give their time and study to another person.

So I was only mildly surprised when the final performer
of the night took the stage--an eighty-four year-old
whippersnapper named Bernadette--and sang the
most beautiful version of “I’ll Be Seeing You” I’ve ever
heard.  Granted, it’s a song that reminds me of my
grandmother, so it wouldn’t take much, but as soon
as Bernadette got to “I’ll be looking at the moon…
I got to sniffling.  The rest of the crowd wasn’t far
behind.  I snuck a peek at the heckler in the front row,
and even she was wiping her nose with one of the
million tissues she appeared to have stuffed in the
plastic bag on her lap.

The audience joined in with her on the final chorus,
and while a standing o’ is always nice, getting the
crowd to sing along with you has got to be infinitely
more satisfying.

When Bernadette was done, she took a small bow,
and returned to her folding chair in the back row. 
I walked to the front of the room, tears still lingering
in the corner of my eyes, and said, “Wow, how
about that, huh?”

The heckler, her voice wavering with emotion,
yelled back--

“OH BOY.  NOT THIS GUY AGAIN.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A List of People Who Can Go to Hell Now That I Can't Have Elizabeth Warren

So today was a rough day for everybody who isn't a @#$%-ing #$%hole. Let's just start there. If that upsets you, by all means, go straight to hell. This entire rant is going to be exactly what it sounds like. I am mad and I am going to exercise my right to BLOG ABOUT IT LIKE IT'S 1995, SO BUCKLE UP, BUTTERCUP. I really don't even know where to start, so let's just jump right in with the first person who comes to mind. Bloomberg, go to hell.  You really didn't have anything specific to do with today, but you can just go to hell for spending an ungodly amount of money on literally nothing.  I mean, you could have lit millions of dollars on fire and at least warmed the hands of the homeless, but instead, you made tv stations across the country that are already owned by Conservatives rich, so kudos to you and go to hell. Amy Klobuchar, I STUCK UP FOR YOU AMY.  I got into FIGHTS on SOCIAL MEDIA while DEFENDING your sorry, self-interested ass.  You know

Theater and the Outbreak

After last week's interview, a representative from a theater that recently experienced the results of opening too soon reached out to speak with me. I want to thank this person for coming forward in the hopes that it'll change some minds about what's safe and what isn't when it comes to the performing arts. Here's the interview: ME:  So this wasn't a full production or-- THEM:  No. It was us trying to do a little something for friends and donors. ME:  Who is 'us?' THEM:  The board of _____. ME:  And how long have you been on the board? THEM:  Three years. ME:  What was this going to be? THEM:  There's a, uh, beautiful park here in town, and we wanted to do an outdoor performance of a Shakespeare as a benefit, because, as you know, theaters are having a hard time right now paying the bills. We checked with the local government and the health department for the state to make sure we were doing everything the way we needed to in order to keep everyone s

People You Know Are More Important Than People You Don't Know

This post is in response to arguing with people--straight and gay alike--about a certain celebrity, whether or not she's an ally, if she's pandering, if pandering matters, and whether or not I'm an asshole. The last part is probably an enthusiastic "Yes" but let's reflect on this for a bit anyway without actually giving more time to an argument about a person none of us know, which is a crucial part of what I want to talk about. People you know are more important than people you don't know. I realize it's tricky in an age where we've never been closer or more engaged to our celebrities to keep in mind that we do not know them, they are not our friends, and while we may love them and stan and feel like we're attacked when they're attacked-- That is not true. That is not real. They are in no tangible way connected to us. Now, as someone who is obsessed with pop culture, I get that it's a little hypocritical for me to be making